Properties with septic systems MUST manage and maintain their system. A septic system is a very good and environmentally sound wastewater treatment facility as long as the owner of the system property maintains it.
1. The previously recommended pumping schedule was 3-5 years. It is now recommended to be every 3 years.
2. CLEAN the effluent filter at least ONCE A YEAR!
1. See the manufacturer’s maintenance recommendations.
2. Generally, the more complicated the system, the more maintenance is needed.
3. Yearly maintenance is needed for ATUs as a bare minimum!
4. Some systems will require quarterly and bi-annual maintenance.
*Do NOT buy or use these.
If you do not regularly maintain your system or put items into your septic system that should not be there, it is called “System Abuse”. Yes, it’s a real thing. It is far more economical to properly maintain than to have to repair or replace a septic system. System Abuse has severe consequences on the pocketbook and the environment.
Know where your system is! If you do not know… hire a servicer to locate both the tank system and the disposal system (leach bed, trenches, or pits). You cannot build over these areas! Arizona has certain setback regulations for septic systems which dictate how far away structures can be.